My initial experiences with outdoor learning
“I realized that there was something about learning outdoors that had the potential to bring out the best in students - especially students who struggled in regular classroom environments…”
. . .
Looking back: My initial experiences with outdoor learning
In teacher’s college, I was assigned a practicum placement at an outdoor centre where school groups came for field trips. I already had a deep appreciation for nature and the outdoors, having grown up on a deer farm / pumpkin farm and having spent countless hours exploring and adventuring in the forest and creek on my family’s property. It wasn’t until I taught at an outdoor centre, though, that I realized how valuable outdoor learning (including outdoor play) experiences are for students.
My interest was piqued during that practicum by the fact that many teachers (from various schools, in various grades) made comments to the effect of:
“You’d never know it, but this student is like a completely different person here compared
to at school.”
“You wouldn’t believe the behaviours I see from this student in the classroom.”
“I’ve never seen this student speak up or take on leadership roles like this in class.”
I realized that there was something about learning outdoors that had the potential to bring out the best in students - especially students who struggled in regular classroom environments.
The year after I graduated, I was hired to work as an outdoor educator at another outdoor centre. There, I continued to realize how student engagement with curriculum content increases when students are given opportunities to wonder, ask questions, explore, play, and use their imaginations outdoors. Outdoor experiences bring curriculum concepts to life, for example, through authentic opportunities for investigating science and geography; through imaginative play based on experiences of historical people and groups; through arts experiences in nature; and through physical activities that promote healthy and active living. I also took on responsibilities at this centre for developing programs focused specifically on developing other-than-academic skills: leadership, communication, problem-solving, and collaboration. Teaching outdoors day after day also caused me to experience an incredible sense of physical and mental health and well-being.
Comments
Post a Comment